Adventuring is an Activity – Not a Place

20140202_170450-PANO

For years, when I thought of going off on big adventures, I thought of cross-country road trips; long, boring flights that I would regret booking until I arrived at my destination; and hiking over trails that might actually challenge my endurance.

However, my useless passport (Jamaican), a Third World salary, and the limited vacation time from the 9-5 slave-job that paid it, limited any possibility of that ever happening.

Leaving the Island Life Behind

After a great deal of planning, however, I was able to go off on a smaller scale adventure that began in Jamaica and then branched off into the US, where I had more than enough friends and family spread out to host me, while I flitted from one location to the next.

Then, after two weeks of bouncing between family and friends in Pennsylvania and New York, another friend of mine asked me how my trip to New York had been.

I told him New York had been fun enough, but I was relieved to return to Atlanta (which has been my home away from home for roughly a dozen years), as nothing could compare to it.

He then agreed that there was nothing like home. He was on a cross-country road trip back home, himself. But then he lamented that my adventuring was over. My immediate response without thought was:

Distance doesn’t make an adventure.

Activity does.

But I never realised how true that was until I said it.

Luck or Perseverance?

People are always telling me, “Oh, you’re so lucky you get to go out and do all that,” or they say, “I can’t do those things. It costs too much.”

But the truth is, sometimes all it costs to go adventuring is a little research and a car ride. There are a lot of free beaches, free trails, and free attractions in your area – or close enough. You just have to find it.

Running off 1000 miles away to another continent doesn’t create an adventure. It’s just a different location; a new location where most people waste their time lounging by the pool and taking selfies, anyway.

Your Home is Someone’s Vacation Spot

Always remember that wherever you adventure to, there are people living and making a life there, every day; and somewhere, right now, there is someone dying to come to your city, your state, your country. Find out why.

You see, the truth is, you will never know any area as well as you know your own. Take advantage of that. You won’t need travel guides to tell you what seasons and months are best for heading outdoors to sail or hike or swim. You won’t need money to book any flights. You might not even need to book a room, anywhere.

Some of the best and cheapest adventures you can go on could be right down the street from your house – or maybe several streets away. You won’t know until you go looking for them, and actually commit to doing it.

So to prove the point, I’m sharing pictures of adventures I’ve had over the past three years – all of which occurred on my tiny island and within the Atlanta area.

Happy adventuring.

Beach Day in Negril, Jamaica – Swimming, Snorkeling

Beach Day in Falmouth, Jamaica – Swimming, Kitesurfing, Paddleboarding

Volunteering in Falmouth, Jamaica

Beach Day in Montego Bay, Jamaica (my hometown) – Swimming, Snorkeling, Yachting

Volunteering in Montego Bay, Jamaica

Weekend Trip to Portland, Jamaica – Surfing, Swimming, Sightseeing

Hiking in Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Labour Day Urban Exploration at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Labour Day Urban Exploration at Pemberton Place (Coca Cola) in Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Graffiti at Little 5 Points in Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Originally published September 8, 2015 on Alexis Chateau.

1. Wade says:

Truer words were never spoken. This is something I’ve really taken to heart myself over the last couple of years. We may not be able to fly around the world at a moment’s notice, but that doesn’t mean the only other option is to sit on the couch lamenting that we’ve nothing to do.

I’m with you, sometimes you’ve just got to find the adventure where you’re at.

1. Thank you. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. I’m glad it resonated with you.

Too many people believe that it’s an either or situation. We just have to be creative in finding new places to explore in our own surrounding areas.

1. Wade says:

I agree. And truthfully, if you’ve never been hiking, starting with the Appalachian Trail or backpacking across Europe won’t be a fruitful venture. Like most things, a small start with consistent improvement will yield huge results.

We’re just going to have to keep encouraging everyone to find their own first steps.

2. That is very true. That’s why a lot of people never get to truly enjoy those trips, because they don’t know what to look out for. They weren’t sufficiently prepared.

2. I love the post, the words within it. You have such a keen eye for life and the world. I also enjoyed looking through the photos you shared. What was up with the cat caught up in what looked like the pulleys on blinds?

That photo stood out in its own way.

Thank you for sharing!

Cheers! ^_^

3. So, so right! One thing I tell everyone I can is, if you have a credit card, make sure it’s a mileage accrual credit card and charge EVERYTHING on it – groceries, utilities, clothes, ordering online (lots of double miles deals that way) whatever takes the card, and it’s amazing how fast it will add up and take care of that plane flight. For lodging we only do Airbnb for the most part now as it’s so much cheaper, but when I first went to visit my husband down in Australia (when he was still ‘courting me’) some years back, I volunteered a week of that time WWOOF-ing on an organic farm by the sea and had my lodging and food taken care of by my hosts in exchange for 4 hours of work a day. I recommend WWOOF-ing to anyone who wants to travel and isn’t afraid of a little manual labor as they have them all over the world. I love the “staycation” thing too in town – my husband and I try to go to a new hiking destination in the area at least once a month 🙂

Lovely photos!

4. Geoffrey Low says:

Couldn’t agree more. I go adventuring for free every day just by taking a walk in neighborhoods I am unfamiliar with. You can learn so much on a completely different level when you walk instead of driving by. Great pictures!

1. We do that sometimes, but certainly not every day. And thanks. Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

5. Some would say adventure is a state of mind. It is wonderful when we finally get to discover all the overlooked things right in our own communities. Happy discoveries!

1. You’re probably right about it being a state of mind. It really is about how you approach the location you’re in, if you think of that way. Happy adventuring to you too.

6. lisalemuya says:

its true i grew up near a dam and a boarding school so on days when the school was closed i would go exploring both the dam and the school and it was an adventure in itself.

1. That sounds amazing, and a little dangerous. I hope no one ever fell into that dam!

1. lisalemuya says:

Nope that never happened we weren’t allowed to go near it on our own it gave the whole a sense of serenity one of my fondest memories of the place was taking walks with my dad and my siblings

2. I would hope so. We had a dam that ran by the road on my way home, when I was in college. One day we had a tropical storm, Tropical Storm Nicole to be exact. It swelled it’s banks and took half the road with it. It was one of the most terrifying thing I had ever seen. Looked post-apocalyptic.

3. lisalemuya says:

that must have been really traumatic i guess thats the downside of water bodies for us since tropical storms never hit us we would have very heavy rains which would flood some areas though not very much but it disturbed some creatures on the dams banks so frogs and an occasional snake would show up

4. Snake? Ha! I’m still getting over my fear of snakes. I don’t think my heart could deal with some big snake showing up after rainfall. I’d probably die of a heart attack.

7. Kritika says:

Distance doesn’t make an adventure.
    Activity does… couldn’t agree more. 🙂