Restless – Bored – & Seeking

In my posts over the past two months or so, I’ve tackled big issues on race, religion, politics, and consumerism, and it’s been a blast. A lot of you have chimed in, whether in agreement or disagreement, and it has made for some very interesting discussions.

However, for this post, I want to take a step back and return to the roots of this blog, which began with one simple goal in mind: to travel and to share what adventures I’ve had along the way.

To be honest, I haven’t been doing much of that recently. In the past few months, I’ve gone hiking maybe once or twice, and the last time I went out of state, it was to visit in-laws.

Restless Alex

I’ve tired of staying home at this point. One could say I’ve grown restless, and have begun to long for adventure yet again. The four walls are starting to cave in and feel more like an entrapment than an achievement.

I miss weekends in Jamaica, of leaving my apartment on a whim to go snorkelling at the beach, or dining out at restaurants overlooking the ocean. Even in Atlanta, there were once days of trying out new restaurants, hiking once or twice per week, and day trips out of town.

For whatever reason, those days are no more, and I am indescribably bored with my life.Β  I have not felt this restlessness in a long time; and the last time I did, I moved more than 1100 miles away from home to fix it. Now, here I am again.

Secret Travel Club

In search of a piece of peace of mind, I started to seek out travel opportunities, which I learned becomes a lot harder when you’re married – especially when this involves moving to a new place where you know virtually no one outside of your husband, his friends, his family, and your parents.

It’s no longer appropriate to crash at your boys’ house for two weeks, or to accept a $400 plane ticket from one to go out of state for dinners and outdoor adventuring.Β My female friends have never been particularly adventurous, so without the kind of relationship I had with my ‘boys’ life is not what it used to be.

With a remedy in mind, I decided to test out Meet-Up to see if there was anything of interest I could try. One ‘secret’ travel club caught my attention, so I attended one of their events, and happily made their list. The group has travelled all across Georgia, and into Tennessee, Kentucky, and other surrounding areas. By now, they should have also just left for a week-long trip in Paris and London.

I’m not sure when I’ll be able to travel with them, but I hope it’s soon, before the craziness sets in, and the troll comes out.

Panola Mountain State Park

In the meantime, here are pictures from a hiking trip a few weeks ago to Panola Mountain State Park.

Enjoy!

1. sargondorsai says:

Those are some fantastic pictures from your hiking trip. I try to make sure I get pictures each time I take a vacation, especially with the family. It’s fun to go back over them and remember the fun we had. It’s even more fun to ask the kids what they remember from each of the pictures.

Hopefully you’ll be able to do some more travelling soon! I’ve been mostly stuck at home lately due to medical reasons, which definitely limits my ability to take the kids traveling. Hopefully we’ll get that all figured out soon.

1. I’m sorry to hear about your medical problems. That certainly trumps my own issues, though truth be told, I’ve lived with heart conditions all my life. Mine aren’t a hindrance to me though, so I hope you get better soon.

I always take pictures from hiking trips and anytime we go out of town, as well. Mostly I do that for the travel section of this blog. But sometimes we do go back to look at them, and reminisce.

1. sargondorsai says:

A blog sharing your pictures of a trip is still a way of reminiscing about the trip.

2. That’s a good point. πŸ™‚

2. Love the photos!

You two have an eye for photography. I also love that sense of adventure you both seem to have. It is nice to see souls truly living life to the fullest!

Inspiring!

Cheers! πŸ™‚

1. Thank you! That adventerous soul can cause such discontent when not fulfilled though, which can often make it seem like such a burden.

1. I do imagine it would lead to restless nights and the need to keep exploring. ^_^

2. Indeed, and soon!

3. Bernadette says:

Nice photos. The last one gave me a good laugh.

1. The Pokemon Go photo. They’re on random so I’m not sure which one would be last for you. And thanks!

4. dogotek says:

Do you have any ideas for your next travel adventure or are you content with slowing down for now? I hope you are able to overcome the obstructions in your way.

1. Restless, bored, and seeking should shout malcontent from the rooftops. The whole post is about how miserable I am with the lack of travel lol

As far as any idea I do have, just the one in the post, which is to go travelling with the club I joined on MeetUp. Not sure when that will be though.

I hope I get over this hurdle soon as well, before I go mad.

5. Hi Alexis – I can so identify with your current state of mind. What the hell is stopping us getting away. So easy to find reasons not to pack up and go. Your honest post is inspiring and I am going to commit here and now to get away for a day in the mountains THIS WEEK! As Al Alvarez wrote this need to travel and adventure is like having a rat on your shoulder that needs to be fed by adventure. If you stop going it starts feeding on you.

1. That’s a very interesting analogy! I’m not at all enjoying the rat food. It’s time to turn the tables, and I’m glad you’re making a commitment to go this week.

My obstacles are the logistics. No car, while living in the suburbs with scarce public transportation alternatives does cause a bit of an issue.

When I get my own car, I’m pretty sure I’ll lack excuses. All the best!

1. bklynboy59 says:

Thank you for sharing they are nice pictures

6. That looks really peaceful.

7. Anonymous says:

I hope you’ll have the opportunity to travel soon, Alexis. All the best!

1. I hope so too Someone! The travel itch is really digging in!

8. Little_Mrs says:

I very much get where you’re coming from! I haven’t travelled much in years and the travel but is getting worse. Alas, married life definitely changes the travel as well as when it’s a priority.

I hope you go out for plenty of local adventures to help keep the restlessness at bay!

1. Alas, another married woman who understands my plight. They neglected to put that in the fine print!

I’m definitely trying to rack up my local adventures. I hope you do the same!