The Tale of the Faded Shirt

alexis-chateau-the-used

In the summer of 2008, I bought this shirt. I remember because it was just before moving six hours away from my old college to start my bachelor’s degree.

I had worn a uniform in both high school and community college. So this was the first time I could wear whatever I wanted to class – and boy did I make the best of it!

The Hidden Message

While other girls my age were picking out nice summer dresses, cute shoes, and long weaves, I was looking at band-shirts at Hot Topic. But why?

The main reason was simple: my wardrobe should announce my interests to everyone, so I never had to. This worked great as a teen, and would continue to work at 26 years old, when Michael saw me wear the shirt for the first time.

We never quite talked about my interest in The Used. But the shirt was enough for him to know that when the band came to town a couple of weeks before my birthday, tickets would make for the ultimate present.

At the Masquerade

And so it was that eight years and three holes later, I was wearing my faded The Used shirt to The Used 15th Anniversary Tour at the Masquerade.

alexis-chateau-the-used-bandshirt

For the second time this year, I marvelled at how proud my teenage self would be of the woman I had become, and the life I lived. It was one more thing to tick off the mental list my 15-year-old self kept handy.

It may seem like a tiny and inconsequential dream to have; especially for someone like me, who’s taken all the personal and career risks I have in the past year and a half. But as it often is with women, it’s the little things that make the world of difference.

Building Suspense

I could hardly contain my excitement, when we walked into the Masquerade.

It wasn’t just that I was going to see one of my favourite bands perform live – that I would see Bert McCracken in the flesh for the first time. It wasn’t that I would hear him croon, and sing, and scream before my very eyes.

It was that after a lifetime of knowing maybe only two other fans of this super talented band, I was surrounded by so many others who had taken to heart the same notes, and words, and sentiments that I had – and it was mind-blowing.

The anticipation only continued to build as I suffered through the opening act. They were alright, but a mere counterfeit offer for why I was really there.

new-language-rock-band-la

That was, however, until Bert McCracken joined them on stage…

bert-mccracken-joins-new-language-on-stage

Jamming to 90s Pop

It only got better from there. Once New Language skipped off stage, the crew worked on putting up the amazing artwork, and tuning the instruments.

To keep us entertained while we waited, they played music; and of all the genres they could have picked for a rock show, they chose 90s pop.

I laughed as 20-something-year-old rockers who wouldn’t be caught dead listening to pop as teens, belted out all the lyrics to Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, and TLC, as if they were on stage right in front of us.

In Love & Death

And then, it was time…

I’m no veteran concert-goer, but of all the bands I’ve seen at the Masquerade and Vans Warped Tour in the past year, none drew the energy Bert did.

The whole crowd was an energetic mosh pit, breathing into and out from the stage in a constant wave that pulsated through every song. You couldn’t help but be sucked into it.

That I managed to escape without bruises was remarkable. The first time Michael ever took me to a show at the Masquerade, we both left with black eyes, and it wasn’t nearly as intense as this had been.

Topless

After the best show I’ve ever seen in my life, there was little else I could ask for to make my night a success.

Even so, by the end of it all, I was exhausted. My back hurt, my legs were jello, and I was sweating a puddle. Mid-show I had gotten so hot, I even took my shirt off. I got a few looks, but paid no heed.

Perhaps Bert’s strong support of feminism throughout the performance rubbed off on me, and reminded me that it was my body after all. No one would have bothered to care if a guy had ripped his shirt off and thrown it over his shoulder…

I still have many birthday presents yet to come from family and friends, but I must say, of all the gifts I’ve had my whole life, this one has likely topped the list.

Happy birthday to me and all the other Lovely Libras celebrating this month. May all our birthdays end with our biggest wishes coming true.

And as for the faded shirt? Well you can bet, I’ll be holding on to it for another 12 moves, another 3 holes… another lifetime.

THE END.

1. Love the tale and Happy Birthday

2. Latifat says:

Happy belated birthday! Glad you enjoyed your day!

1. It’s today actually so you’re right on time. Thank you! 🙂

3. Erica Marie says:

Happy Birthday

4. Atomic's World says:

Hmm… Sound like you got the bestiest birthday present!
    Anyway…
    Happy birthday!

1. Haha yeah I did, and several others. Thank you!

5. babbitman says:

Great write up of what going to see live music can mean. I have to confess that I’ve not come across The Used, but I’ll check them out. If you’re interested in my somewhat older take on watching a great band years after they were storming the charts, check out https://babbitman.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/but-we-re-different-now/
    And happy birthday!

1. Thank you! The Used wasn’t ever very mainstream, so I’m not surprised that you didn’t know them. I’m sure you’ll like them though, and thanks for sharing. 🙂

6. Happy birthday from one Libra to another.

1. Thanks Christine! When’s your birthday?

1. October 19. I am turning 60. Yea!😄

2. That’s awesome. Happy birthday when the time comes. How do you plan to celebrate?

3. Thank you Alexis. I live in Canada in the prairies, so we are travelling to the mountains for some relaxation and of course, adventure.⛰

4. There’s no better escape than that, and romantic too I bet! I hope you enjoy yourself and take lots of pictures!

7. bethanyk says:

I love the pictures! I love the shirt ! It is the little things that matter I so agree. Great post.

1. Thank you Beth! I’m still hanging on to it. Maybe I can get a few more shows out of it haha

1. bethanyk says:

When my husband was 15 he had a sweatshirt he wore for a swim team. I STILL wear it every winter! I love those who get use out of something sentimental!

2. Haha that’s amazing. Hang on to it. It will have decades more of memories wrapped into it by the time you’re done.

8. K. Hules says:

Great post! Its been a while since I listened to the Used but I still have my Used shirt (though its barely legible these days). Happy Birthday and I hope what ever age you are turning is a great year for you. :]

1. So you have a faded The Used shirt too? Haha. In Love and Death is still my favourite album for sure!

1. K. Hules says:

Yep! It’s of that album, though the LP I know better is their eponymous one.I was always more of a My Chemical Romance fan. I should check out In Love And Death though. I’ve liked what I’ve heard off of it.

2. Yeah, they were pretty good friends with MCR until that weird fallout with Gerard. MCR isn’t around anymore though so you might as well come join us!

3. K. Hules says:

Yeah I remember they were. They fell out? That’s too bad. Oh yeah, I was a bit stunned when they broke up. Wasn’t too into their last album though. Haha maybe I will join you crazy Used kids. :] Seems like y’all have fun.

4. Yeah, they fell out ages ago and wouldn’t say why. Word was Bert wanted to sober up, and Gerard was still using so he cut him loose. But no one really knows what happened.

I wasn’t a big fan of their later stuff either. They broke up after Mikey Way’s scandalous affair.

And yes, you should definitely join us.

5. K. Hules says:

My goodness! All this drama I missed haha.

2. And thank you! I’m 27 🙂