5 Great Things you Can only Enjoy in Jamaica

This summer made it one year since I’ve been away from my tiny island – the longest I’ve ever spent away in my entire life. In that time, I’ve come to realise that Jamaica might not be the land of opportunity for all, but there are still many unbeatable experiences to be had.

As a tropical island, Jamaica shares many other characteristics with islands nearby – and even islands halfway around the world. The beaches are great, the food is delicious, the climate is warm, and the people are friendly. However, like any other country, there are some things Jamaica does better than anyone else.

So here are five great things you can only enjoy in Jamaica – whether you’re a national, an expat, or just visiting for the first time.

Jerk Chicken on the Roadside

Ask any Jamaican what they miss about home, and this will likely make the list. Jamaican jerk chicken is basically grilled chicken, but much spicier and far more flavourful than you’ll find anywhere else. For pesco-vegetarians like myself, there are also seafood options, which are just as good.

jamaican caribbean food cuisine travel jamaica

It might seem unhygienic to buy our food on the roadside from a random stranger, but nothing smells better to you than jerk chicken or roast fish after a long day at the beach, or while coming home from a party at 4 in the morning. I promise you.

In my 25 years of living on the island, I never heard of any instances where nationals, expats, or visitors became sick from eating jerked food from roadside vendors. However, if you’d rather not take your chances, restaurants do make jerk chicken, pork, and fish, which is usually as good.

IMG_20150207_163851

While jerk chicken is almost guaranteed to taste amazing no matter where you get it from on the island, the absolute best jerk is made in Portland, Jamaica. The picture above is from Boston Jerk in Boston Bay, Portland.

Uncrowded Kite-Surfing

kite surfing pablo lis valcarce trelawny jamaica adventure travel

When most people think of surfing, they think of Hawaii. While Hawaii, and other places like Spain, California, Fiji, and the Cayman Islands have a much more developed interest in kite-surfing, Jamaica does not.

This might sound like a disadvantage at first, until you realise how little competition you have for the open waters, when it’s time to catch a wave. This makes the experience much more pleasurable for beginners and seasoned professionals, alike. It also reduces the likelihood of accidents on the water.

Pier 1 on a Friday Night
pier1a-940x626
Photo Credit: Pier One Jamaica

This club is literally on a pier, and every Friday night it hosts its signature event, Pier Pressure. The admission is only about $5, and the drinks are cheap. In spite of the low prices, the club draws a classy crowd, for the most part. You can expect an interesting mix of wealthy expats, excited tourists, and friendly locals.

Because this is a tourist and expat-friendly location, you can bet the security is pretty good, too. What I love most about Pier 1 though – aside from its great prices – is the view of the Caribbean Sea. The club looks out over the ocean, and the pier does jut into the water. There are also several boats and yachts docked on the level below the club.

Real Rastafarian Culture
bob marley
Photo Credit: Jeso Carneiro

Bob Marley’s rise to fame made Rastafarians a famous and common association with Jamaica. However, it’s wise to note that Rastafarians belong to a subculture in Jamaica; much like hippies belong to a subculture in the United States.

If you’d like to experience the real Rastafarian subculture for what it is, then that’s something you’d have to see first-hand in Jamaica, where it originated.

Though I certainly don’t believe in, or agree with, their beliefs on religion, race, and women, I do find them interesting. In fact, in college I wrote my research paper for sociology on the Rastafari.

Jamaican Patty
Jamaican_patties_and_redstripe.jpg
Photo Credit: Ritcharnd Moskow

In Jamaica, a patty is not a round slab of processed meat, as is often the case in America. A Jamaican patty is actually a pastry containing spices and fillings that are baked into a flaky, outer layer. The most common filling used in Jamaican patties is ground beef. However, other common fillings include lobster, shrimp, soy, curried chicken, vegetable, ackee, and cheese.

I had one of these every morning with bread, and a cup of Jamaican Hominy corn porridge. It was a delicious breakfast, and one of the things I miss most from my daily routine back home. Cinnamon toast crunch and eggs simply does not compare.

While many stores – like Sams Club and even the Dollar Store – do sell Jamaican patties, nothing beats getting the real deal, freshly made, at 7:30 in the morning before work.

There are many things I miss about my island home, but these are the things that no other location can replace. If you ever do make Jamaica a travel destination, be sure to check out the items on this list. You won’t be disappointed.

Originally published May 30, 2016.

1. Thank you for sharing! Your posts are always intriguing and fun to read. If I ever find myself in Jamaica, I will be sure to check out what you write of. πŸ™‚

1. Thank you, and you’re welcome. I hope you visit soon πŸ™‚

The patty is like the Cornish pasty?

1. I had to look that up. I’ve never had one. It’s a similar concept, but not quite the same. Go by your local dollar tree and check the fridge, if you live in America. They always have them.

3. Heri says:

Didn’t get the chance to visit Jamaica but looking forward to ! Winter is coming here so good idea to go south πŸ™‚

1. Definitely a good idea to go south Heri. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it if you go. Lots to do on the beach while we’re freezing our butts off.

4. weezyslife says:

I’ve been to Jamaica three times…you make me want to go back!

1. Give in to the temptation! Where did you visit there?

5. Anne J. says:

Sounds divine! Would it be good for an old lady like me, always with a toddler in tow.. and the toddler’s father? πŸ™‚

1. Haha, yes it would, as long as he carries her. Pushing the toddler around in a stroller will limit how many places you can go to.

1. Anne J. says:

That’s perfect! He doesn’t want her ever using that stroller anymore. Will include on bucket list for sure. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–

2. Glad to hear it! Ocho RΓ­os is probably the most kid friendly area, but I much prefer Montego Bay myself.

3. Anne J. says:

I’ll be “googling” ASAP πŸ™‚ I have not been that side of the world at all. It took me years and years to get to the Americas but I’m not getting any younger so must get on with it.
        It must have been amazing growing up there.

4. Hurry up and make the trip! πŸ™‚

5. Anne J. says:

Yes!! Where’s my broom? πŸ˜€

6. Lol. I think you’ll need a plane instead.

7. Anne J. says:

πŸ˜ŽπŸ’–

6. Roadside jerk chicken!!!!!! YASSSSSSS

1. Haha! Sounds like you’ve had it before!

1. One place in Negril and one in Ocho Rios… real divey looking joints but oh the realness!!!

2. Ah, so you’ve been to my island. Great place, isn’t it? The best place for jerked food is Portland though, but few tourists ever head out that way.

3. I’ve visited Negril, Whitehall, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Green Island. I haven’t been back in a long time but I will never forget the food and the people… and the rum. Oh yes!!!

4. You should definitely go back then. I’m from Westmoreland originally, but Montego Bay is home. That said I’m pretty biased to Montego Bay being the best for everything (except the jerk haha). The snorkeling in Negril is amazing as well.

5. Did some snorkeling in Negril where I hovered over a stingray and cracked up over the guide talking about Jamaica had a shark but he only had one tooth LOL

6. LoL. We have sharks, but they’re waaaaay out. They rarely get past the reefs. Once or twice we’ve had sharks pop up in Negril. I don’t remember any ever coming close to our swimming spots in Mobay though.

7. Spicy jerk chicken is sounding pretty good to me right now! Great post!

1. Thank you! I definitely miss steamed fish and bammy.

8. Jhunelle J says:

Home sweet home. Patties are probably my first love, and though I’m not the biggest jerk chicken fan, it’s true that nothing beats pan chicken after a party at 4AM!

1. I miss the shrimp patties. I used to have one every morning before work.