5 Great Things you Can only Enjoy in Jamaica

This summer made it one year since I’ve been away from my tiny island – the longest I’ve ever spent away in my entire life. In that time, I’ve come to realise that Jamaica might not be the land of opportunity for all, but there are still many unbeatable experiences to be had.

As a tropical island, Jamaica shares many other characteristics with islands nearby – and even islands halfway around the world. The beaches are great, the food is delicious, the climate is warm, and the people are friendly. However, like any other country, there are some things Jamaica does better than anyone else.

So here are five great things you can only enjoy in Jamaica – whether you’re a national, an expat, or just visiting for the first time.

Jerk Chicken on the Roadside

Ask any Jamaican what they miss about home, and this will likely make the list. Jamaican jerk chicken is basically grilled chicken, but much spicier and far more flavourful than you’ll find anywhere else. For pesco-vegetarians like myself, there are also seafood options, which are just as good.

jamaican caribbean food cuisine travel jamaica

It might seem unhygienic to buy our food on the roadside from a random stranger, but nothing smells better to you than jerk chicken or roast fish after a long day at the beach, or while coming home from a party at 4 in the morning. I promise you.

In my 25 years of living on the island, I never heard of any instances where nationals, expats, or visitors became sick from eating jerked food from roadside vendors. However, if you’d rather not take your chances, restaurants do make jerk chicken, pork, and fish, which is usually as good.

IMG_20150207_163851

While jerk chicken is almost guaranteed to taste amazing no matter where you get it from on the island, the absolute best jerk is made in Portland, Jamaica. The picture above is from Boston Jerk in Boston Bay, Portland.

Uncrowded Kite-Surfing

kite surfing pablo lis valcarce trelawny jamaica adventure travel

When most people think of surfing, they think of Hawaii. While Hawaii, and other places like Spain, California, Fiji, and the Cayman Islands have a much more developed interest in kite-surfing, Jamaica does not.

This might sound like a disadvantage at first, until you realise how little competition you have for the open waters, when it’s time to catch a wave. This makes the experience much more pleasurable for beginners and seasoned professionals, alike. It also reduces the likelihood of accidents on the water.

Pier 1 on a Friday Night

pier1a-940x626
Photo Credit: Pier One Jamaica

This club is literally on a pier, and every Friday night it hosts its signature event, Pier Pressure. The admission is only about $5, and the drinks are cheap. In spite of the low prices, the club draws a classy crowd, for the most part. You can expect an interesting mix of wealthy expats, excited tourists, and friendly locals.

Because this is a tourist and expat-friendly location, you can bet the security is pretty good, too. What I love most about Pier 1 though – aside from its great prices – is the view of the Caribbean Sea. The club looks out over the ocean, and the pier does jut into the water. There are also several boats and yachts docked on the level below the club.

Real Rastafarian Culture

bob marley
Photo Credit: Jeso Carneiro

Bob Marley’s rise to fame made Rastafarians a famous and common association with Jamaica. However, it’s wise to note that Rastafarians belong to a subculture in Jamaica; much like hippies belong to a subculture in the United States.

If you’d like to experience the real Rastafarian subculture for what it is, then that’s something you’d have to see first-hand in Jamaica, where it originated.

Though I certainly don’t believe in, or agree with, their beliefs on religion, race, and women, I do find them interesting. In fact, in college I wrote my research paper for sociology on the Rastafari.

Jamaican Patty

Jamaican_patties_and_redstripe.jpg
Photo Credit: Ritcharnd Moskow

In Jamaica, a patty is not a round slab of processed meat, as is often the case in America. A Jamaican patty is actually a pastry containing spices and fillings that are baked into a flaky, outer layer. The most common filling used in Jamaican patties is ground beef. However, other common fillings include lobster, shrimp, soy, curried chicken, vegetable, ackee, and cheese.

I had one of these every morning with bread, and a cup of Jamaican Hominy corn porridge. It was a delicious breakfast, and one of the things I miss most from my daily routine back home. Cinnamon toast crunch and eggs simply does not compare.

While many stores – like Sams Club and even the Dollar Store – do sell Jamaican patties, nothing beats getting the real deal, freshly made, at 7:30 in the morning before work.

There are many things I miss about my island home, but these are the things that no other location can replace. If you ever do make Jamaica your travel destination, be sure to check out the items on this list. You won’t be disappointed.

Originally published May 30, 2016.

1. Went to Ocho Rios on my honeymoon many years ago ❤️

1. Alex says:

I think I remember you telling me that on another post. Should have gone to Montego Bay! 🙂

2. lavanya2198 says:

Wow lovely.. i am so looking forward to visit your place after reading this post.. i bet it is charming so as you are in love with it so much..cheers.. keep writing and i loved ur blog a lot

1. Alex says:

Thank you! I hope you do visit. It’s a beautiful country. If you haven’t seen this one already, I would recommend reading it as well https://alexischateau.com/2016/05/22/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-jamaica/

1. lavanya2198 says:

Thank you so much..no I havent..n I would absolutely love to 🙂

2. lavanya2198 says:

And btw I am from india.. dis place is lovely..once in life you much come.. and if you do id be happy to help u out for the best experience possible 🙂

3. Where in India do you live? On the news they say India is a dangerous place for women – locals and tourists.

4. lavanya2198 says:

Yes the crime rate maybe high in certain places but belive me we love it here.. and its really a myth.. I am from a beautiful platue town ranchi.. trust me if u read a little about india you will find its not a place you can miss :₩

5. I have read a lot about India and met many people from there who ran away to Jamaica. The story they tell is different from yours, especially the darker skinned Indians.

However, India is a really big country, so maybe you live in one of the nicer areas.

3. Val says:

My travelling days are over as my health’s not up to it, but there was a tiny club in the part of London (England) I used to live in run by Jamaicans and I remember the patties there – wonderful! If you could ever find and post here a recipe for them, I’d be very a very happy person indeed! (Though not with seafood as I’m allergic to it.) Enjoyable post, thanks.

1. Alex says:

Hi Val! Thank you. I’m glad you got a good taste of our culture.

This isn’t something we make at home, unfortunately. It’s our equivalent of fast food. But I’m sure there should be some recipes online. Not sure how good they would be though.

1. Val says:

Ah, okay, thanks!

4. Yasss my gorgeous country…..good read

1. Alex says:

Thank you Kristal. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

5. galeweithers says:

Jamaican patties! My favourite! Great post and loved the content. Makes me want to write something about Barbados … we will see. Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. Alex says:

Thanks Gale! Is that where you’re from originally? You should definitely do a post about back home.

6. I love this! I was just in Montego Bay and the Jamaican patties were to die for omg. And the jerk chicken — WOW!!

1. Alex says:

Oh nice! I hope you enjoyed the vacation. What did you do while there? I hope you go back to visit again soon. 🙂

1. I stayed at Grand Palladium Resort and I went snorkeling and to Dunns River Falls to do the waterfall climb!

2. Alex says:

Sounds amazing. Never been to Grand Palladium but knew someone who worked there and they had nothing but rave reviews for it.

7. Alex says:

Reblogged this on Godigio and commented:

Alexis Chateau shares 5 amazing things you can only enjoy when in Jamaica. Makes us want to visit for sure.

8. Daydreams says:

Visit NY & NJ! Jamacian-owned & run restaurants that might just make you feel a little at home. 🙂
    New Brunswick, NJ & Jersey City in particular & part of Brooklyn – especially East New York have some great spots! 😉

1. We have some here too actually in Atlanta, but it still doesn’t compare. Maybe the atmosphere has something to do with the overall experience.

1. Daydreams says:

I think so. There’s no place like home. 😉

9. Mike says:

Jamaica sounds awesome. Some nice pics there too!

1. It is, and thank you!

10. John says:

There’s certainly a great deal to find out about
    this subject. I really like all of the points you made.

1. Thank you John! I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and I hope you visit the island and enjoy all it has to offer soon!

For some reason WordPress automatically marked this comment as spam, so I’m only just seeing it. So sorry!