20 Totally Relatable #BlackWomenAtWork Tweets

Earlier this week, I logged into the company’s Twitter account to see madness on our timeline. Apparently, a Fox News anchor and the White House spokesman made some disparaging remarks about congresswoman Maxine Waters, and a reporter by the name of April Ryan.

The end result was an online protest where Black women tweeted under the hashtag #BlackWomenAtWork. I re-posted many of the tweets via the company account, and added our own voice to the clamour. I then compiled a list of the 20 most relatable posts.

Whether you’re a White woman, Black man, or an immigrant, these are scenarios we can all relate to as fellow second-class citizens and residents around the world.

1. Where’s the Guy Who Wrote the Code?

2. You Can’t be Manager. But You can Train Them.

3. Use What You’ve Got Sister!

4. WoW! So Well-Spoken!

5. You? Really!

6. Hansel, Gretel & Scapegoat

7. Where’s the Manager???

8. Umm… Where Is Becky with the ‘Good Hair’?

9. I Just Love your Work!

10. So Unprofessional.

11. Help Can’t Park Here!

12. You Own the Firm??

13. Too Sassy!

14. You’re Fired!

15. Can’t Congratulate You. Sorry. Not Sorry.

16. Kinky Locks – Too Naughty for Corporate

17. Code for Safe Negress.

18. Can’t Hire you with Natural Hair.

19. You’re So Funny…

20. Kiss A$$ – Or Get Out

What are some of the discriminating experiences you have witnessed or suffered in the workplace? It doesn’t matter what colour, creed, or gender we are – we’ve all had them. How did you respond? And what advice do you have for others going through the same experience.

PS: After completing this list, I noticed one hell of a coincidence. Just before the madness started on Twitter, here is the social media post Alexis Chateau PR sent out for the day. The tweet was scheduled a month ago, so this is beyond funny to me. You might as well call me Miss Cleo!

1. tarnishedsoul says:

I’m sure some of these would be hilarious if they were not grossly true.

1. Well I definitely laughed at some, BECAUSE they were so true. There are only a handful on there that don’t relate to me.

2. My boss asked the owner if he could promote me, as I was really good at the new position and the company needed someone in the position. The owner told him, “NO, she’ll just get pregnant and leave. ” Nice 😡

1. Are you serious?? Wow!

I don’t understand the pressure on women to stay home with their kids, and then when they do, it’s a problem. You can’t win.

This is one of the reasons I don’t want kids. Every mother is a villain in SOMEONE’s eyes =/.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

3. These experiences makes me so angry!

1. Yes – even more so for the people living them. I can relate to all but maybe 2 or 3 on the list.

4. This is all so disgusting. Women are treated like crap in the workplace, and black women are treated even worse. It needs to stop, and it needs to stop now.

I’m ashamed to say I was sort of part of the problem recently. We moved, and I had to find a primary care practitioner. At the new clinic I chose, several lady nurses had asked questions and taken vital signs, and another​ lady, (who happened to be a stunningly beautiful black woman) had come in. When I realized she was the practitioner, I told her she was too pretty to be a doctor. I was instantly ashamed, and had to explain that all of my doctors and surgeons for years and years had been men, and that I was happy to see a woman as my primary. I hope she understood that I really meant that I thought it was wonderful, but I’m still ashamed of myself for the way it came out of my mouth. That beautiful woman takes good care of me whenever I have to go see my primary care practitioner, and I’m grateful for her beyond words.

1. Hi Cynthia,

We all say things that come out the wrong way from time to time. I’m sure she gets it a lot, and understands that your statement was not meant to be insulting.

I think when it becomes a problem is when people begin to doubt that she can do her job because she is a woman, or because of her race. In Jamaica, women tend to be the highly educated ones, so we have a better balance of female lawyers, doctors, etc – mostly Black and Asian. In America, the difference is definitely more sharply felt!

It is really sad, all the discrimination many of us put up with. I wanted to share the tweets not just to share what Black women go through, but to show that this is something all us “second class” folks go through in one way or another.

Thanks for dropping by again! 🙂

1. I guess, being a woman, I can’t help but feel bad for having said that the way I did. Like, if anybody should understand that women really run the world whether the sexists want to admit it or not, it would be me since I’m a woman too. Why can’t America be more like Jamaica? Or maybe it’s just because I live in the American south that I see women under represented?

I love reading your blog, because you always give me so much to think about. And that’s a good thing😊

2. I can understand that. These things happen though. We’ve all had foot in mouth syndrome at some point.

Women run the world as support staff though. I’ve tried to explain that to men I know. Our “job” has been to support and influence them, without getting any credit or power for ourselves. We pull strings, and that’s it. It’s like when you have a CEO but it’s really the executive assistant and PA who do all the work, while he’s the face of the company. It sucks!

Jamaica definitely has a long way to come. But we are not nearly as behind as I used to think. In some ways we are pioneers!

Here’s to a better future if we keep inspiring thought in those around us. Thanks again! 😊

5. angela1313 says:

Ouch, so many of these apply. I do not understand how people can be so backward in this day and age. The natural hair tweets just left me speechless. They wouldn’t dream of telling the white women they all had to be permed bleach blondes to look right at work but their minds are obviously still back in 1950.

1. Yes, unfortunately, so many do. I think White women with curlier hair can probably relate to the hair remarks. They don’t have the sleek, 100% neat hair either, and I’m sure employers give them a hard time about it as well. It’s a lot harder for Black women though. Our hair is not so easily tamed…

6. Ooooooooooooooo!!!!! Yes yes yes and grrrrrrrrr.

1. These tweets make me question whether or not we’ve come very far as a society!

1. We’ve come some distance but how far is questionable. I mean on one hand we can have positions that once were only a dream but while that is true, look at the same old crap we get.

2. I agree with you completely. I feel bad especially for the mothers who are constantly walking the edge of motherhood and career, while her husband likely has little effect on his career as a result of having children.

3. Don’t get me started on how retirement is adversely effected by a woman taking off time to take care of a child.

4. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m gonna have to get you started. 😄😂 Tell me about that.

7. Reblogged this on bookmarkchronicles and commented:
    THIS. I will never forget the day that my idea was shot down but when it proposed again 5 minutes later by the white man sitting next to me, everyone was on board.

1. Thanks for sharing this!

1. Thank YOU! I can relate to too many of these….

2. It’s sad that we can relate to so many! Hopefully seeing the collective tweets will inspire some of the people creating these situations to rethink their treatment of minorities and women at work.

On my first job hunt after college, the employment officer told me I would have been better off to have just finished high school. Now I was “overqualified” for any job that would hire a woman. (1969)

1. Wow! I know I can always count on you for amazing career and travel stories, Elizabeth. But this one takes the cake! – and not in a good way.

I believe that was his way of calling you the “overachieving” female. My goodness! What did you tell him?

He was right. There was no legal protection then. I took a job as a clerk in a bus excursion company owned by a friend’s father. Later I will be posting about my job stories.

2. There was no legal protection from men like him, but men like him needn’t have existed in the first place.

Can’t wait to read them. Maybe you should write an autobiography.

9. April Ryan is an amazing journalist. I have seen Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, treat her in a disparaging manner twice now. I could not believe it when he told her not to shake her head at him. She did not respond to him. I probably would have said something back, and it wouldn’t have been nice! I saw her later in an interview on MSNBC, and even then, she responded with grace and professionalism.

1. Thanks for chiming in on the discussion. I never heard of her prior to this controversy, so thanks for sharing a little of her background and how she responded.

The two main recurring themes from the tweets were [1] hair, and [2] always being told we’re intimidating, sassy, or angry, when we’re perfectly fine and confused as to how people come to that conclusion. I’m glad she kicked that stereotype in the you-know-where and was able to keep her cool.

Thanks again for sharing!

10. geekkat says:

How about one when they butcher your name and then when you stand up to say hello they have this shocked expression.

Or how about…I had no idea you looked like that. Me(thinking) what am I supposed to look like

Or you are not what I expected with that name…how did you get that name.

Yeah I can relate all too well!! We just need to keep our heads up 😀

1. Wow!

I have a European name, so you know people are always confused if they don’t see a picture of me first. Because of my blog and social media, though I don’t get that as much. But Uber drivers say it to me all the time. You’re not the “Alex” we expected lol. I get this mostly from Black drivers.

The problem is that people take stereotypes too seriously. They believed them too doggedly, so much so that when they run into exceptions, it is shocking. It shouldn’t be. How can they seriously believe the stereotypes apply to everyone?? – even if they are a part of that race and consider themselves an “expert”.