NaNoWriMo 2017: Week 4 Check-In, Finally Over

When I first signed up for #NaNoWriMo2017 my first thought was, What have I done? I knew I would win. Failure very rarely makes a debut in my personal history. But I wondered what would suffer in the process.

Would that mean no longer working on the novel I had finished writing? What about my blogs? Social media? Going to the gym? Eating? Sleeping? My friends? My personal life in general!

Well, I certainly didn’t go out as often, but that was as much because of the cold as #NaNoWriMo.

Even more impressive is the fact that after taking off a day from writing to spend time with family and friends for Thanksgiving, I still managed to finish with 50,444 words by November 25th.

I always finish what I start, so even though I’m not enthusiastic about the book I half-wrote for #NaNoWriMo, I’ll finish it. Some day in the future, I’ll come back and make a man of it — and that’s a whole lot better than where I was on October 31st.

Thank you to everyone who tuned in every Wednesday to see how my writing progress was coming along. I’m sorry I didn’t get to entertain you with any suspenseful stories of hanging by a word-count thread or falling behind with no real hope of catching up!

To all the other winners of #NaNoWriMo, I’m proud to stand with you at the finish line, whether you barely managed to finish and probably hate your project, or wrote a brilliant book for publishing.

For those of you eyeing the next step in the near-future of promoting your book, short stories, or just sharing writing tips, please check out black CATastrophy.

For the writers who didn’t quite make it in time, your best is all #NaNoWriMo asks for. If you gave your all, then keep doing exactly that every month onward, and you’ll reach your own finish line in time.

May the force be with you!

Alexis Chateau
NaNoWriMo 2017 Winner

1. Dave Burnham says:

Many congratulations! I’m seriously considering doing #NaNoWriMo in 2018.

1. Thanks Dave, you really should. It was a lot of fun, and I got so much done!

You have convinced me to never do that challenge.(Just kidding. I already would never have done it.) Kudos to you, though.

1. Haha, it was an awesome experience. Definitely doing it again next year. I’m actually almost finished with the novella. I’m maybe a chapter or 2 away from the end. 🙂

3. Willow Croft says:

Congrats, you did it.

4. rubiescorner says:

I’m glad you finished what you started. Yeah!

1. Thanks! Still writing 🙂

5. Congratulations! 🙂

6. twobytour says:

Fantastic! This was the first year I completed #NaNoWriMo and I am still kind of giddy! Nicely done, and congrats on your hard work!

1. Thank you! And congrats to you as well! Did you finish the novel? I’m on the epilogue of mine, but more like a novelette than a novel.

Have you published anything yet, as well? Shadow has deals going on at just for winners.

1. twobytour says:

I did! My story wrapped itself up very nicely around 51k. I’m excited to go through it next month for editing.

I only have a few article credits to my name, and nothing literary published. I’m hoping to change that.

Thanks for the tip! Best of luck in finishing your epilogue.

2. Awesome, so you did a novella too! Maybe I’ll stretch it out into a full book later on. We’ll see!

You’re welcome. He takes book reviews and short stories if you wanna pitch any. No charge for those.

Enjoy these upcoming holidays!