Castillo de San Marcos: The Oldest Fort in the Continental United States

1 Saint Augustine Florida Casa Monica.jpg

I admit it. I’ve been procrastinating on these Florida posts like it’s nobody’s business. Believe me; it’s not that I don’t want to tell you all about the amazing adventures we had in the semi-tropics.

7 Saint Augustine Florida USCG E2C Memorial Casa Monica Hotel

It’s that we saw so much, did so much, and tookย so many pictures, I don’t even know where to begin. Since I already covered our trip to Savannah, I suppose the second day is as good a place as any.ย ๐Ÿค”

2 Saint Augustine Florida Flagler College Winston Murray.jpg

After our stop in Savannah that Monday afternoon, and arriving on Amelia Island that Monday evening, we travelled further south to visit Saint Augustine, the following Tuesday.

On the Streets of Saint Augustine

3 Saint Augustine Florida Casa Monica.jpg

These pictures are of the luxurious Casa Monica hotel, Flagler College, and the USCG E2C Memorial. While these organisations have nothing but location in common, the Spanish architecture makes one blend effortlessly into the other.

4 Saint Augustine Florida Winston Murray.jpg

After our taste of Spain, we ventured through alleyways littered with shops and wares on either side. Unfortunately, we were both so pleasantly preoccupied, neither of us pulled out the camera until we got to the very end of the alleyway and ran into a creepy wooden building:ย The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse in the U.S.

Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse in America.jpg

The Spanish Fort

3 Castillo de San Marcos Winston Murray.JPG
Photo Credit: Winston Murray

By the end of the alley, we could see the old Spanish Fort across the street. The Castillo de San Marcos National Monument is a tribute to three centuries of Spanish occupation of Florida, and stands as proud as it did when it was originally built, in the 17th century.

The fortress, with its 30 feet high and 14 feet thick walls of solid rock, kept close company with the coastline. The blue water helped to soften the cold, brooding aura these buildings often evoke. You just can’t beat real estate with a view!

After roaming the historical landmark, it was time to visit the place I was most excited to see in Saint Augustine:ย Anastasia State Park. But that’s a post for another day — specifically next Friday.

PS:- I know you guys don’t fancy me making travel posts with my face conspicuously absent, but by the remaining Florida posts, you’ll be so sick of seeing me that you’ll be grateful for this brief respite. I promise!ย ๐Ÿ˜…

AC Sign 2_0

Find Me On:

1. So much blue! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ it’s my favourite nature colour, besides green.

1. I was glad for some blue seas myself. Georgia is nothing but green haha

2. Todd S says:

Visited St Augustine two summers ago, Vero Beach is easily the best beach in the area.

1. We never went to Vero Beach. Did you make a post about it? I’d love to see! ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Todd S says:

Nope, wasnโ€™t blogging then! Itโ€™s really cool because the tides make the area really cool and unique.

2. Blackrock Beach is a little bit like that. The tide creates a lot of driftwood. It’s beautiful.

3. Mei-Mei says:

Ah I love St. Augustine! Iโ€™m heading there for vacation again this summer ๐Ÿ™‚

1. That’s awesome. Sounds like you’ve been there a few times before!

1. Mei-Mei says:

Yes, I grew up in Florida. I miss it, especially in the winter ๐Ÿ˜†

2. The winter is definitely the time of year we all wish we lived in Florida ๐Ÿ˜‚

4. Kelly MacKay says:

Wow very nice and well kept.

1. It was. Hard to break anything that solid anyway.

5. I was there once a long long time ago. It’s a nice place to visit.

1. It was, but naturally I was far more interested in the beaches. ๐Ÿ˜‚

1. Don’t blame you there.

Always amazes me about anti-immigrant sentiment in parts of the U.S. which were owned by Spain! Who were the latecomers to Florida? Not the indigenous people, nor the Spaniards, nor the Spaniard’s slaves. It was those pale faced folks.

1. Does Florida have a lot of anti-immigrant sentiment? I’m not really sure. I actually saw more diverse groups out together there than Atlanta.

Jamaica was also originally owned by Spain before Britain stole us. Thankfully, we missed that anti-immigrant sentiment. The Dominican Republic, however, does seem to embrace it.

7. angela1313 says:

So cold today this was the perfect diversion!! Thanks.

1. Haha, glad I could help with that.

8. kittyp0p says:

Stunning views!

9. Beautiful! It is always very interesting to visit a place with a bit oh history. Amazing how they made things to last centuries ago. I suppose that’s what I find fascinating in Europe: History is embedded in the walls!

1. Yes, that’s what fascinates me about Europe as well. My British friend always says America is a lot younger than it thinks it is. His house is older than America, is a common joke he makes haha. A true joke though.

I’m surprised you didn’t comment on the Spanishiness of everything haha