alexis chateau travel

In 2014, I turned down a lot of opportunities to travel and experience the world. Why? Because I’m a woman, and we almost always prefer stability and safety to risk.

After saying no to what might have been an amazing experience in Australia, and then Germany, and then London… I promised myself that for 2015, my New Years’ Resolution was to take risks – calculated risks, but risks all the same.

Adventures and Misadventures

This decision catapulted me into the adventure of a lifetime. I became more involved in charities and volunteer work in Jamaica, and made connections with travelers around the world who inspired me to chase my dreams.

In July 2015, a startup offered me the amazing opportunity to travel and freelance full-time. It was a big risk, but this time I took it. I quit my corporate job in payroll the very next day, gave up my apartment, adopted my pets out to family and friends, and packed my life into three suitcases and a laptop bag.

img-20150628-wa0006.jpeg

After a month of being a nomad in Jamaica, I came to America for my routine summer vacation. That trip took me through Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia.

Two years later – I’m still here.

My Career

Doing the tango with a tree at Yellow River Park.

A post shared by Alexis Chateau (@alexischateau_) on

It may sound otherwise, but my journey hasn’t been an easy one these past two years. Like everyone else, my triumphs have been sprinkled with my own fair share of failure and frustration.

Even so, each step has taken me closer and closer to my goals. As I continue to roam outside the confines of 25 years of caution, I have seen so much, and accomplished things I never thought myself capable of.

One of those things was making a living from doing what I love: writing, creating, and helping others to do the same. This dream has manifested itself in Alexis Chateau PR – a PR firm that’s championing the underdogs.

Shadow the PR Cat

One of the best decisions I made since launching the firm was hiring my pesky little PR puss as our Goodwill Ambassador, the and head of the black CATastrophy indie author division. Shadow tweets without opposable thumbs, and is a pleasure to have with us in the office.

The Adventure Continues

If you think this is the part where I tell you I’ve settled down to regular adult life? – think again.

Somehow I’ve managed to find the perfect work-life balance: the envy of millennials everywhere, I suppose. I work 70+ hours per week. Yet, I still have time to travel and work on my novels and short stories; all while enjoying new experiences with great people along the way.

This blog documents those adventures and all the lessons I’ve learned as a Jamaican expatriate in America. Stick around for the tales of struggle and triumph.

You won’t be disappointed.

Alexis Chateau Black Cat

Hi Alexis! What a fascinating story you have to tell! I’m eager to get started reading your blog but first I wanted to thank you for following The Comfortable Coop.

1. Hi Elizabeth, you’re welcome. Thanks for dropping by. I hope you like what you find! 😊

I LOVE Shadow!

2. Haha, indeed. He is a sweetheart! If you’re on Instagram, LinkedIn, or Twitter, you can follow him there. He loves the company!

Do you have a cat as well?

No cats. We have two dogs, two ducks (who currently live in the bathtub) and we’re getting rabbits again later in the spring.

4. Ducks in the bathtub? Haha. Are they inside the home? That’s different!

Yes. They’re inside. We got three in November when we visited our oldest son. They were supposed to be food and one we butchered just days after getting home. Unfortunately, the other two had some growing to do and we hadn’t planned on having to keep them. We didn’t have a duck house so they went in the tub.
        Then my husband fell in love. He didn’t want to have to eat them. He’s a city boy so having to help butcher the first duck traumatized him.
        I discovered one of the two left is a duck and the other is a drake. Lucky for them. Now they’ll produce little ducks that will go in the freezer and they get to live a long, very spoiled life in the duck cabin we’re building.

6. I feel your husband’s pain. I grew up in the country and watching family members butcher animals made it impossible for me to eat them. Only seafood gets a pass from my conscience. But to each their own! Shadow is certainly no vegetarian!

LOL Even the ducks eat meat here!

2. You definitely captured my attention, Alexis! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

1. Thank you Johanna! I’m sure there are many more tales ahead from me. Stay tuned! 😊

3. wonderful–amazing. Glad you took those opportunities for a spin. Sounds like you’ve done well and keep on going strong. Have a great one and hugs to you.

1. Thank you! It’s been a wild ride so far for sure. Looking forward to more adventures and sharing it with you guys. Thanks again for dropping by!

4. Hi, Alexis. I think you’re living the life I would have loved to have at your age. Heck, I’d love to have it now! Looking forward to following your adventures.

1. Thank you! I worked my butt off to get that life. Saw too many blogs with people doing it and thought, why not me??

All the best and thanks for dropping by!

5. RMW says:

Good for you. Wish everybody could start adult life by traveling instead of taking any old job out of fear (like I did…). Good for you!

1. Thank you! My family gave me a head start, I suppose. We moved around a lot when I was a kid and I’ve been traveling abroad since I was 9. I’m sure that helped make it easier for me to choose the lifestyle I have.

Thanks again for dropping by!

6. Wake38 says:

Wow, amazing story. Thank you for visiting me and I am looking forward to sharing in your adventures. All the best.

1. You’re welcome! Thanks for dropping by. There will be plenty of adventures coming up, so stay tuned. πŸ˜„

7. cocoaupnorth says:

What an amazing story! I hope to keep up with your adventures.😊

1. Thank you! I’m working on it. 😊

8. PoetSpeak says:

That cat is so cute! What a star!

1. Thank you! He’s indeed a handsome little star.

9. I’m glad I bumped into your page, I can’t wait to read about your adventures and lessons about blogging. I just recently joined the blogging world and I’m eager to learn and grow.

1. Hey! I’m glad you dropped by as well. I do share some blogging tips here, but most of them you’ll find at the company website at http://www.alexischateaullc.com.

Plenty of travel adventures to follow here though. This month I’ll be blogging about my trip to Vegas. 😊

1. I’m already excited to read all about your Vegas trip πŸ˜€,thanks for following my blog too πŸ™Œ. I’ll definitely follow your company. x

2. I’m excited to blog about it, haha. And thank you. I hope you find the posts useful πŸ™‚

10. SophiYYaWryt says:

The Alexis Chateau followed me on my first ever and new site! Thank you so much, love your blogs though

1. Welcome to the blogging world. And thanks for dropping by. 😊