alexis chateau travel

In 2014, I turned down a lot of opportunities to travel and experience the world. Why? Because I’m a woman, and we almost always prefer stability and safety to risk.

After saying no to what might have been an amazing experience in Australia, and then Germany, and then London… I promised myself that for 2015, my New Years’ Resolution was to take risks – calculated risks, but risks all the same.

Adventures and Misadventures

This decision catapulted me into the adventure of a lifetime. I became more involved in charities and volunteer work in Jamaica, and made connections with travelers around the world who inspired me to chase my dreams.

In July 2015, a startup offered me the amazing opportunity to travel and freelance full-time. It was a big risk, but this time I took it. I quit my corporate job in payroll the very next day, gave up my apartment, adopted my pets out to family and friends, and packed my life into three suitcases and a laptop bag.

img-20150628-wa0006.jpeg

After a month of being a nomad in Jamaica, I came to America for my routine summer vacation. That trip took me through Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia.

Two years later – I’m still here.

My Career

Doing the tango with a tree at Yellow River Park.

A post shared by Alexis Chateau (@alexischateau_) on

It may sound otherwise, but my journey hasn’t been an easy one these past two years. Like everyone else, my triumphs have been sprinkled with my own fair share of failure and frustration.

Even so, each step has taken me closer and closer to my goals. As I continue to roam outside the confines of 25 years of caution, I have seen so much, and accomplished things I never thought myself capable of.

One of those things was making a living from doing what I love: writing, creating, and helping others to do the same. This dream has manifested itself in Alexis Chateau PR – a PR firm that’s championing the underdogs.

Shadow the PR Cat

One of the best decisions I made since launching the firm was hiring my pesky little PR puss as our Goodwill Ambassador, the and head of the black CATastrophy indie author division. Shadow tweets without opposable thumbs, and is a pleasure to have with us in the office.

The Adventure Continues

If you think this is the part where I tell you I’ve settled down to regular adult life? – think again.

Somehow I’ve managed to find the perfect work-life balance: the envy of millennials everywhere, I suppose. I work 70+ hours per week. Yet, I still have time to travel and work on my novels and short stories; all while enjoying new experiences with great people along the way.

This blog documents those adventures and all the lessons I’ve learned as a Jamaican expatriate in America. Stick around for the tales of struggle and triumph.

You won’t be disappointed.

Alexis Chateau Black Cat

1. kasmin says:

Your life does seem interesting. Give my love to Shadow

1. Thank you, Kasmin! Shadow has been demanding nothing but love today. Haha.

2. sonwabo1 says:

hey Alexis, i cant wait to see more stories

1. I hope you enjoy them.

1. sonwabo1 says:

Lol I will, your stories seem interesting and enjoyable to read;)… You know I’d wish to travel the world like you Alexis and see other places…

2. I haven’t traveled the world just yet. Only been in North America and the Caribbean, but Europe, Australia, and South Africa are on my list. If you want something bad enough though, you’ll find or way (or make one!)

3. sonwabo1 says:

Wow you planning to visit South Africa:)…

4. Yes, why? Is that strange?

5. sonwabo1 says:

No! its not strange, am from South Africa and i guarantee you will like it…

6. The beaches there look beautiful.

7. sonwabo1 says:

Yes indeed Alexis… especially in Cape town and Eastern Cape

8. sonwabo1 says:

South Africa is a heaven to those who love adventure, magnificent landscapes and diversity in nature. Once you have been there, you will always long to return and relive this extraordinary experience. It is not an easy task to decide which places are the best to visit, so in order not to get lost in the wild nature of South Africa, be sure to put these in your list.
        Cape Town: Table Mountain
        Well, the name of this key attraction already suggests it — a flat-topped mountain, overlooking Cape Town. Make sure to hike to the top of the mountain. The climb is a hard task, but the view from up there is spectacular — all of Cape Town`s radiance can be seen from up there, and the sea breeze will definitely freshen you up. For the not-so-adventurous type, there is a cable car to the summit.
        Cape Town: The Cape Peninsula
        If you are an adventurous type of person and you enjoy hiking — The Cape Peninsula is the best place to go. Within Table Mountain National Park, you will find the Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope. The unspoiled nature will give you an experience to remember for a lifetime. If you visit this area in spring or early summer, you might see Southern Right Whales. Whatever time of year you visit, make sure you see the colony of 3,000 African penguins at Boulders Beach.
        Cape Town: Robben Island
        Robben Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is famous for many things, but mostly for the prison where South Africa`s political prisoners were held during the Apartheid era. At various points in history, the island was also a leper colony, a mental hospital and a defense training base.

9. Cape Town is specifically where I had in mind, too, actually. Does this tend to be where most tourists end up?

10. sonwabo1 says:

Nope! We have places like Eastern Cape, Durban, and Jozi… which place are you interested in Alexis

11. I am mostly interested in Cape Town. I’ve never heard of the others before.

12. sonwabo1 says:

Eastern Cape is an interesting place to visit. Some of the country’s most powerful political figures, like Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela, were born here and the capital city, Port Elizabeth , was a crucial center of the anti-apartheid movement.
        A number of very good tour operators offer excellent township tours that provide an insight into Port Elizabeth’s role in South African history, as well as an introduction into traditional Xhosa rites and ceremonies.

13. Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely making a note! 😊

3. I just happened on to ur blog….. and also did the same thing but in 2009 left my life with 3 suitcases and moved to Italy….

1. That’s amazing. Are you still living there? Where did you move from?

1. I moved from Rhode Island and yes I still live her in Italy in Le Marche. I found my magic place on this Earth. On my blog under “my blogs” I have a category called “Sometimes I leave the Marche” and it’s my adventures in our camper in Europe. Tomorrow I will be on another adventure that on Tuesday I will be writing about. Our planet is a wonderful place and as travelers I do feel it is important to document our travels for others as I love to see other travelers blogs to see new sight for myself.

2. That’s amazing, and I do agree it should be documented. I followed and read a lot of travel blogs before getting up one day and going, “Why not me? Why can’t I do that?”

It was a real leap of faith, but I’m sure you’ll agree it was worth it, as you took one yourself.

Have a safe and exciting trip! Send me a link when you’ve published your post. 😊

4. kellzweb says:

This is all new to me would like to say I’ve improved but i fear that might be a little lie lol .Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend

1. Hi Kellz. If you ever need help with your blog, check out http://www.alexischateaupr.com.

Have a great week!

5. Toni says:

Hey Alexis,
    thanks for your follow and congrats, because you are my first one 🙂 I’m quiet new here and just started a blog. So I am wondering how you found me, bat glad that you did.

Like your blog and you short stories – nice to read if there just a few empty minutes to fill.

1. Thanks Toni. I spend a lot of time on WordPress and regularly browse for new websites to follow. Have a great week!

2. And welcome to the blogging world!

6. AndreaVL says:

Cheers for the follow, Alexis for it lead me to your blog! I especially enjoyed the article about feminism in Jamaica and liked how it showed the differences between the US and Jamaica in terms of women’s rights. The women’s rights movement has made a lot of progress since it began in the US but it still has a long way to go, especially if the government continues throwing religious views into their decision making.

1. Hi Andrea. I’m glad you took the time to read that post. There is indeed a big difference with women’s rights between the two countries. America does a lot of talking, but falls behind on the doing. Jamaica does a lot of doing, but then neglects to back it up with talking, in the form of laws. I would say religion does play a role in politics back home, too. But our history and culture prevails.

7. leavearly says:

Alex, it is great to read your background, don’t rush travel, it will find you. I never planned things … they just happened. And generally I ended up in exactly the right spot when I was supposed to. Sure, you get to go down some dead ends … but water always finds its true level. You will get to where you are meant to go and will know when you have arrived. The inquisitive mind will always find things to write about. It’s a matter of listening and hearing what people are saying then sharing your insights. Everyone has a talent and it is our responsibility to share that talent with the world. Each day, words and acts can bring so much into the lives of others. Yet a piece of advice I was given on my journey to Great Britain, from the other side of the world and half a lifetime ago, has stuck in my brain and served me well: trust everyone yet trust no-one. And sometimes miracles do come true.

1. Thanks for dropping by and for taking the time to read my story.

I’ve been traveling since I was a child, so there was no rush to start. There was a rush to reclaim what was lost in a corporate 9 to 5. I don’t quite understand the “don’t rush travel, it will find you” philosophy, to be honest. Frequent travel requires making an active decision to save, to give up some securities, and to take risks.

I don’t think it’s something that finds most people without active searching, which is why some people never travel at all. I run into a lot of people who’ve never even left their hometown, but constantly talk of wanting to “see the world”.

Thanks for sharing though. I’m sure your philosophy has worked for you. I can definitely agree on being selective with my trust, and the fact that the unexpected does come true when we least expect it.

All the best!

8. leavearly says:

With you on the 9 to 5 and the hometown outlooks … travel finding you – the decisions are generally spontaneous. Once the decision is made that’s when the planning starts. Otherwise, simply pack and go … the road becomes your friend.

1. I can agree with that. I definitely don’t miss a 9 to 5, and I don’t doubt that travel would have a hard time finding me if I had kept it. 😊